Charles qualified as a solicitor over 20 years ago and advises individuals and families about their Wills, Trusts and Inheritance Tax planning arrangements with a particular emphasis on elderly and vulnerable clients.
Charles specialises in Will Drafting, Powers of Attorney, Administration of Estates, Court of protection applications, continuing healthcare appeals, deferred payment agreements as well as Inheritance Tax Planning, and Trust Drafting (including associated documentation).
Charles has recently been advising families in connection with the following issues:
- Mother had just moved into a care home and son was looking after his mother’s affairs. He didn’t want to sell mum’s house so Charles arranged a deferred payment agreement with the local authority.
- A lady wanted to be able to look after her brother’s finances, as his bank account had been frozen. He was severely autistic and could not manage his affairs. Charles applied to the court of protection for her to be appointed as his deputy.
- A young couple wanted simple wills ensuring that guardians were appointed to look after their young children in case they should both die.
- A daughter wanted to appeal the decision by the local NHS Clinical Commission Group (CCG) to withdraw funding for her mother.
- A father and son who ran a farm wanted powers of attorney in case the son should have an accident or if the father had another heart attack to allow the other or their nominated attorney to continue running the farm whilst they were incapacitated.
Charles is a member of The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and the Law Society Private Client Section. Charles was a member of the Law Society Wills & Equity committee from 2004-2014, and is a past president of the City of Westminster Law Society.