Richard is Joint Senior Partner and heads up our Commercial and Employment teams. He has a huge range of expertise in employment law matters across multiple sectors, from advising recruitment agencies, to representing high profile executives, to acting on behalf of schools and educational organisations. With Richard, what you see is what you get – a highly pragmatic, experienced and skilled solicitor with a proven track record of success.
Richard is recommended by leading client guides, the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners for his expertise. So, if you need a lawyer who will focus on achieving the outcomes that matter to you or your business, you have come to the right place.
Richard traces his interest in law back to when he was teenager doing work experience for a local solicitor in Oxford. He recalls that whatever the solicitor was doing each day, whether helping someone get a divorce, buy a home, or deal with business issues, his work had a vital impact on the lives of his clients. This, Richard thought, was a job really worth doing (and he liked the look of Mr Stanger’s smart 3 piece suit and bow tie!).
Now, this is a sentiment Richard reflects in his own day-to-day employment work. After all, what is more important to a person than their career and being able to support their family? What is more important to a business than its workforce?
Richard studied Law at Durham University in the mid-80’s. He started his Articles of Clerkship at Longmores in 1989, qualifying as a solicitor in 1991. Since then, Richard has worked his way up the ranks to become Joint Senior Partner in 2017.
Although he has not been around quite as long as Longmores itself (which was founded around 200 years ago), Richard is one of our longest serving lawyers with nearly 30 years’ experience helping our clients achieve their goals.
Richard handles a broad range of complex and high value employment and related commercial matters and his recent experience includes:
- Advising a major multi-national company in relation to reorganisation and redundancies
- Advising education sector clients in relation to complex grievance and disciplinary proceedings
- Advising a national recruitment business in relation to TUPE and other staff issues relating to commercial contracts
- Advising a leading recruitment business in relation to multi-party discrimination claims
- Advising an international manufacturing business in relation to misuse of confidential information by former employees and enforcement of contractual restrictions
- Advising a leading pharmaceutical business in relation to complex unfair dismissal proceedings
- Advising on complex employment aspects of the sale of a leading self-storage business
- Advising a global head of a major bank in relation to substantial discrimination claims
- Advising a senior research scientist in relation to discrimination and whistleblowing claims against a leading university
Richard heads up our Employment Law team which has been highly ranked by leading client guide, the Legal 500.
“He has a calming and unfazed manner, which helps to identify the crux of the matter, keep perspective and take the emotion out of a case.” Chambers UK 2020
“He is always a pleasure to work with. He is detailed, helpful, and understands our particular business and the ways we work.” Chambers UK 2021
Outside of work, Richard loves music and his tastes are almost as broad as his legal expertise – his favourite band is Queen but he also enjoys jazz and blues, classic rock, acoustic, and more recently he has been getting into classical.
Richard also enjoys chess, tennis, following sport (in particular, football and the currently much maligned Red Devils!), and spending time with his wife and two children when they are home from university.