Flora Gaughan is a Chartered Legal Executive in the Private Client team.
Flora has over 30 years of experience across all areas of private client work, including wills, Lasting Powers of Attorney, probate and estate management. Her expertise includes dealing with complex estates involving assets in various jurisdictions and where the deceased has been domiciled outside the UK.
Flora also manages trusts, both family and charitable, dealing with the day-to-day administration, production of annual accounts and legal formalities as and when required.
Clients value Flora’s caring, patient approach. She likes to give each client the time they need and that their matter deserves. Flora sees a key part of her role as helping to take some of the burden off people’s shoulders, especially when they are facing a difficult time.
Flora qualified as a Chartered Legal Executive in 1993, giving her many years of experience across the full range of private client matters.
Immediately before joining Longmores, Flora worked for leading law firms in London for 25 years.
Flora joined Longmores at the beginning of 2019 and has rapidly become an invaluable member of the team.
Flora has many years of experience in all areas of private client work, including dealing with:
- The drafting of wills
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Applications for probate and letters of administration
- Estate management and distribution
- Trust management
Examples of previous matters Flora has assisted with include:
- A contested probate action where she assisted the resolution process through mediation
- A successful challenge to a claim for inheritance tax on the death of a settler, who HMRC argued was UK domiciled at the time of creation of a trust, resulting in a significant tax saving for the client
- A successful defence to a court contested claim for provision from an estate
Flora has a big extended family that she loves spending time with. She also likes travelling, with favourite destinations being Scotland (where she is from originally) and Ireland (where her husband is from). Flora is also a member of the National Trust.