Bernard has dedicated his legal career to helping individuals and families sort out their wills, personal affairs, trusts, and Lasting Powers of Attorneys. He also has experience providing advice about Inheritance Tax – helping you plan for it and minimise it wherever possible so that your loved ones can inherit as much of your wealth as possible after you’re gone.
Bernard’s goal is to make your lifetime planning experience as simple and comfortable as possible. You won’t feel like you’re having a meeting with a stereotypical lawyer, but a natural conversation with someone who is genuinely interested in getting to know you and helping you plan for the future.
So, if you’re looking for a personal experience with a solicitor who will welcome you, make you feel safe and give you peace of mind that your future is secure, Bernard is your man.
Bernard was born and bred in Hertfordshire – he attended Richard Hale School, just a stone’s throw from the Longmores office. He studied Law at Hertfordshire University, graduating in 2006, followed by the LPC at the College of Law (now the University of Law), graduating in 2009.
Bernard started his legal career as a Paralegal before accepting his Training Contract with Longmores in 2011. He qualified into Longmores’ Private Client team in 2012 and has specialised in wills, trusts and lifetime planning work ever since.
Bernard can help with Inheritance Tax planning, probate and estate administration, drafting wills, trusts and Lasting Powers of Attorney matters.
His clients come from all backgrounds and walks of life; his experience ranges from sorting our simple estates comprising of a home and a few bank accounts to helping High Net Worth individuals plan for the succession of their multi-million pound business.
Examples of Bernard’s experience include:
- Helping a couple reduce their Inheritance Tax liability by setting up a trust fund for their children and grandchildren
- Helping a couple whose child has learning difficulties plan for the future and make sure their child is provided for
- Advising a couple about protecting their home from the assessment for care fees and help them reduce their liability for Inheritance Tax
- Advising trustees on the appropriate manner in which to appoint assets out of a ‘Nil-Rate Band Discretionary Trust’ so as to benefit from both the Nil-Rate Band and Residence Nil-Rate Band whilst preserving those assets from assessment for care fees
- Assisting in the administration of a large estate and setting out the claim to HMRC in respect of gifts made by the deceased out of their income leading to a considerable saving in Inheritance Tax
Bernard is a full member of STEP (the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners), an organisation of internationally recognised experts in the area of lifetime and succession planning.
He is also a member of the Private Client Section of the Law Society, a membership group for wills, trusts, tax and probate specialists.
Outside of work, Bernard enjoys spending time with his wife and two children and going to the gym. He is also interested in property development and converting local buildings with his dad who is a builder.