Bernard has over 5 years of experience advising individuals and families about their Wills, personal affairs, Trusts and Inheritance Tax planning arrangements as a solicitor.
Bernard specialises in Inheritance Tax planning, administration of estates, drafting Wills, Trusts and Lasting Powers of Attorney.
Bernard has recently been advising clients in connection with the following issues:
- A couple seeking to mitigate their inheritance tax liability by creating discretionary trusts for the benefit of their children and grandchildren
- A couple looking to make provisions for one of their children who has learning difficulties and is in receipt of various benefits
- A couple preparing new Wills to incorporate trusts for the benefit of each other with the intention to preserve assets from assessment for care fees and to ensure that their estates benefit fully from both the Nil-Rate Band and Residence Nil-Rate Band
- Advising Trustees on the appropriate manner in which to appoint assets out of a ‘Nil-Rate Band Discretionary Trust’ so as to benefit from both the Nil-Rate Band and Residence Nil-Rate Band whilst preserving those assets from assessment for care fees
- Assisting in the administration of a large estate and setting out the claim to HM Revenue & Customs in respect of gifts made by the deceased out of their income leading to a considerable saving in Inheritance Tax. The claim of which was based on advice previously given to the deceased.
Bernard is an affiliate member of The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and the Law Society Private Client Section.