Richard has been with Longmores since 2001, advising individuals and families about their Wills, Trusts and Inheritance Tax planning arrangements. He has headed the Private Client team since 2014, having become a partner in 2008.
Richard believes that listening is one of the most important parts of his job. This allows him to get to know what clients are trying to achieve so he can best advise them on what they actually need to do.
He believes in keeping things simple, knowing that many lawyers will tend to overcomplicate matters for their clients. By tailoring the discussion to each client’s level of understanding and the amount of detail they want to go into, Richard is able to provide assurance that every detail is taken care of, giving clients confidence and peace of mind.
Richard likes the fact that he gets to be there to support people at what can be very difficult points in their lives, such as when they are facing up to their own mortality or dealing with the death of a loved one. He is very proud of the Private Client team he leads and the work they do, taking a personal interest in ensuring that every client who entrusts Longmores with their affairs gets the best possible service.
Richard studied Law (LLB) at the University of Liverpool, then completed the Post Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice at the University of Law, Chester.
Having completed his training contract at a local law firm in Bishop’s Stortford, Richard joined Longmores as a freshly qualified solicitor in 2001. He has been with us ever since.
Richard specialises in:
- Inheritance Tax Planning
- Administration of Trusts and Estates
- Will drafting, Trust drafting (including associated documentation)
- Powers of Attorney
Richard has recently been advising families in connection with the following issues:
- A couple looking to reduce their inheritance tax liability by creating discretionary trusts for the benefit of their children and grandchildren
- A couple preparing new Wills to incorporate trusts for the benefit of each other with a view to preserving assets from assessment for care fees
- A family looking at the succession issues for the family business, where only one child is involved, and how to balance the interests of the other children
- A couple looking to make appropriate provisions for their child who has learning difficulties and is in receipt of various benefits
- Clients looking to ensure that the recently introduced Residence Nil Rate Band Allowance is not lost because of the structure of their Wills
Richard has acted as a trustee for a number of organisations, including:
- Parsonage Residents Association
- The Pro-Action Hertfordshire charity
- Age Concern New Apton Centre Bishop’s Stortford
- Hertford Museum
- Longmores Charitable Foundation
- The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- The Law Society Private Client Section
- Hertfordshire Law Society Trusts & Probate Committee
Richard’s team is ranked by the leading client guide the Legal 500 for Personal Tax, Trusts and Probate, with Richard being personally recognised by the Legal 500 as a Recommended Lawyer.
He is also ranked by UK Chambers & Partners for his expertise in Private Wealth Law.
“Richard is very approachable, always willing to help and makes sure things are done in a timely manner. I would have no hesitations in recommending Richard and thoroughly enjoy working with him on mutual clients.” Managing Director, wealth management company
“He is extremely sensible, he knows his stuff on all sorts of private client tax matters, and he has a broad range of knowledge. I regard him very highly, he is excellent.” Chambers & Partners HNW 2020
Richard is a keen fan of all sports, particularly cricket and golf. He’s also very happy relaxing on a sun lounger with a good book.
Richard likes to get out for a walk at least twice a day to get some exercise and clear his head, as well as going on longer hikes with friends, particularly in the mountains.