John specialises in property disputes. He has extensive experience of acting in all manner of disputes concerning property, from providing advice with a view to avoiding litigation, to resolving disputes through mediation, and to litigating cases in the Courts and First-tier Tribunal where they cannot be resolved by agreement.
John is passionate about property and acts for a wide range of clients with property interests including management companies and managing agents, investors, developers, private owners, rural land owners, and both commercial and residential landlords and tenants. He is a member of the Property Litigation Association and in 2017 was ranked as a Recommended Lawyer in the prestigious Legal 500.
John’s practice covers both residential and commercial property. He frequently acts in the following types of cases:
- Advice on freehold and leasehold property issues
- Business lease renewals and terminations
- Non-payment of rent
- Other lease breaches
- Break clause notices
- Restrictive covenants
- Easements (e.g. rights of way)
- Trespass and nuisance claims
- Title disputes
- Residential Lease Extension and Collective Enfranchisement claims
- Service charges disputes
- Possession proceedings for short residential leases (e.g. assured shorthold tenancies)
- Land Registry/First-Tier Tribunal applications (e.g. adverse possession & rectification of register)
- Restrictive covenants
- Easements (e.g. rights of way disputes)
- Co-ownership disputes
- Boundary/neighbour disputes
- Party Wall Act disputes.
John’s clients say that:
“He is an excellent lawyer . . . intellectually very capable . . . has a calm demeanour which is essential in litigation. He builds a strong rapport with his clients, for whom he always works very hard. I highly recommend him.”
“I want to take this opportunity to thank you John for your great work from the very beginning of this whole affair. We might have made many mistakes had it not been for your wise counsel. You guided us through the legal minefield and your own handling of the case was impeccable and helped us to get the outcome we desired. Although we always believed the right and justice were on our side we may not have got justice if we didn’t conduct this whole process in the right way. So huge thank you again.”
John Wagstaffe has been recommended as a Next Generation Partner in the Legal 500 2021 guide.