John is head of the Dispute Resolution team at Longmores. A solicitor-advocate, arbitrator and mediator, he has more than 20 years of experience assisting clients either to achieve resolution of their disputes through negotiation or to present their cases to their best advantage before a court or tribunal.
John deals with all manner of commercial contractual disputes but specialises in shareholder and partnership disputes, theft and misuse of commercially confidential information, copyright and trademark infringement, and all matters related to the recruitment industry.
Recent cases of his include:
- A search order and injunctions against a medical recruitment business after a former employee had taken confidential customer information from our client to that competing business. Then executing the search order over two days at the London offices of the former employee’s new employer.
- A threatened unfair prejudice claim by a close relative and minority shareholder against the Managing Director of a family–owned Bedfordshire manufacturing company.
- Representing the former lead singer of a successful pop music group, who had enjoyed chart success in the 1960s, in a trade mark dispute with other band members over use of the band’s name.
- A claim by an Essex-based company against its former directors and their new companies. It was alleged that, whilst they had been directors of our client and in breach of their fiduciary duties, they had sold the company’s most valuable assets out to new companies under their control at a significant undervalue.
- Defending an unfair prejudice petition brought against our client by a co-shareholder who claimed a greater number of the shares in their jointly–owned Hertfordshire company than he had received, that our client should be ordered to buy his shares from him, and that the share value should be enhanced to take account of alleged unlawful payments by our client to himself from the company.
- Obtaining a freezing order and a search order and then executing the search order on behalf of our client, a multi-national company with offices in the West Midlands. The claim arose from a very significant, multi-million pound fraud and from trade mark infringement.
- A land valuation arbitration concerning an enormous area of chiefly brown field land in Bedfordshire that was subject to an Option Agreement with a national land developer. The arbitration was described by Senior Counsel instructed by us as ‘probably the highest value ever’ of its kind in the UK.
- Acting for a local Hertfordshire manufacturer and wholesaler in a copyright/passing off claim by a household name detergent manufacturer.
- A partnership dispute between partners in a busy North London firm of criminal defence solicitors that was referred to arbitration.
In addition to being a solicitor-advocate with right of appearance in any court in England and Wales, John is also admitted to practise law in California and South Africa. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, and a member of the Solicitors Association of Higher Court Advocates. In addition to advanced qualifications in Intellectual Property and Company law, John has also received negotiation training at Harvard Law School.
John’s Dispute Resolution practice area is ranked in the UK Legal 500 2019 guide. John is a ranked lawyer in the UK Chambers & Partners 2019 guide where an interviewee says that he “does a very thorough, careful, well-reasoned, detailed and practical job”.
John is recommended in the Legal 500 2021 guide and ranked in the Chambers UK 2021 guide.