Rina is a Company Commercial Partner specialising in Commercial Contracts and Intellectual Property. She has been advising businesses on a range of corporate and commercial issues since 2001. Her clients range from small businesses and entrepreneurs through to High Net Worth individuals and multi-national organisations.
Rina’s clients benefit from her pragmatic, commercial outlook. She offers more than just her legal expertise, being always on the lookout for ways to add real value for her clients. Clients value Rina’s no nonsense approach and plain English way of communicating. She has a knack for cutting through huge amounts of complex information and highlighting the key issues clients really need to get to grips with, avoiding incomprehensible “legalese”.
She believes in being friendly, approachable and clear, so clients can feel confident coming to her with questions and concerns, knowing that they will get meaningful answers when they need them.
Rina enjoys the quality and breadth of work undertaken by the Longmores Company Commercial team, particularly valuing the variety of challenges she has to deal with on a day-to-day basis. She has a real passion for getting involved with businesses, seeing them grow and succeed.
Rina studied Law (LLB) at London South Bank University, immediately moving on after graduation to complete the Legal Practice Diploma at the University of Law.
She started her legal career as a Trainee Solicitor at a regional office of a City law firm, qualifying in 2001. She then moved to a law firm in St Albans, where she began her specialisation in company and commercial matters. Rina’s next move was to a leading West End law firm, where she acted for a number of High Net Worth clients across all areas of their business interests. She then moved to a firm of Chartered Accountants and Solicitors, where she focused on assisting international businesses with their inward investment into the UK.
Joining Longmores in 2014, and becoming Partner in 2017, Rina’s wide-ranging experience and expertise in dealing with complex, high value matters has proved indispensable to the Company Commercial team and our clients.
Rina deals with a wide range of company issues and commercial contracts, including:
- Intellectual Property
- Licensing issues
- Terms and conditions
- Supply and distribution agreements
- IT contracts
She regularly advises on various matters in the field of intellectual property and IT, along with e-commerce and data protection. Rina has a particular passion for branding and brand protection work, as well as helping businesses to effectively exploit their intellectual property.
Rina has recently acted for clients on the following matters:
- Acting for a research centre in relation to the commercialisation of certain patented technology relating to various components. Assisting with ongoing joint ventures and collaborations with various domestic and international parties in order to jointly develop products using the technology.
- Dealing with successful UK and EU trade mark oppositions against a global recruitment company.
- Dealing with intellectual property licensing and assignments in the context of joint ventures, franchises, business sales or re-structuring.
- Helping a client that designs baby products to set up agreements with manufacturers and distributers to generate significant new revenue.
- Advising on a large number of ongoing contractual matters (including public sector contracts) for an international recruitment company.
- Advising a number of IT companies on their data protection obligations under GDPR and assisting them in updating their terms of business accordingly.
Rina provides pro bono advice for the University of Hertfordshire’s award-winning Law Clinic, which works to improve access to justice to the local community by providing free legal advice.
Rina is an Allied Member of the Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (CITMA).
She is also a Committee Member and Vice-Chair for the Association of Asian Woman Lawyers (AAWL), an organisation that seeks to promote diversity within the legal profession.
“Rina has been extremely helpful in advising our company on key commercial contracts with both clients and partners. Her knowledge and expertise have enabled us to clearly understand the risks and benefits attached to the contractual agreements we are entering into. Her excellent professional manner has meant that she has been able to engage directly with our clients and their lawyers as an extension to our organisation. We would highly recommend Rina in all aspects related to commercial contracts.” Director
“Rina Sond is an excellent solicitor. Very professional and helpful. She gave us excellent advice.” The Legal 500 2021
Rina enjoys reading, skiing and travelling, as well as spending time with her friends and family.
She is fluent in Punjabi and has a basic command of French.